5.10.2008

Mothers Day

I have been thinking alot about a Mothers roll in todays world. So many things have changed over the last 100 years in the world around us, yet our maternal insticts and a mothers love for her children is timeless and as strong as ever. I was thumbing through my family history scrapbook, just reminiscing, when I came across this remarkable story. I remember being awed by it a few years ago while making my book, and I find I am just as impressed with it now. I am equally impressed and ever so thankful that my ancestors saw the importance of preserving journals and photographs and writing their personal histories.

Meet Eliza Tate. She is my 5th Great Grandmother on my fathers side. This is her experiance in 1802 in England in her own words: ( she looks a little scary, I know, But I am sure she was a lovely woman :)





"I was a promising young singer when I met John (Williams father). My two older sisters were opera singers and had great hopes for my future. This ended quickly when I became pregnant and found myself facing unwedded motherhood as well as an end to my career. My baby was born in a private home. All went well with the delivery and I fell into an exhausted sleep. When I awoke, it was night and I could hear people talking in the adjoining room. Suddenly I realized that they were planning to dispose of my baby. Frozen with fear, I lay quietly, pretending to be asleep until the house was dark and quiet. I arose silently, took my slumbering babe and slipped away into the night. I walked two miles to the next village where I found sancutary"


Isnt that remarkable? Hell hath no fury over a woman scorned..or in her case threatened.


This Mothers day, I am reflecting on the examples set for me by my Great grandmothers, Grandmothers, husbands mother and especially my own mother. Now that I am a mom, I definatly understand the unselfishness and work it takes to be one. Thank you.








4 comments:

Raina said...

Ok...that is an amazing story! What a courageous woman! I think that is the coolest that you have old journals to share with your children (and us)! I especially love her picture. :D Happy Mother's Day! You are a fantastic mother and I know your children will appreciate all of your hard work someday.

Alisha B. Whitman said...

Thanks for sharing that story! I can't imagine the horror she felt as she listened to them talk about such a thing. It just chills me to think there are people who thought (and think) that her career could be more important than such a precious little life!

Jen said...

That is a great story, and you are great to have collected all of those great stories! That is so inspiring. And, I'm glad she took her baby and ran,I think that is what any of us would have done, too. It is so true what they say about a mother's instinct.

j and k said...

What an awesome story. SHe was so brave-especially after the exhaustion of having a baby. I love that you shared this! Keep those kind of stories coming! Plus, how cute is baby Kristen! Your kids look SO much like you!